Monday, October 22, 2007

An idea of an idea

With a week to go I think I finally have an idea of what to write for nanowrimo. Unfortunately its not much more than a concept at this point and doesn't really have a plot to go with it. With a Halloween party Saturday night my current plan is to be up for little more than sitting in a near comatose state on Sunday with a notepad and pen to sketch out chracters and plot. If this doesn't work, I'll be 'winging it' for 30 days (a terrifying thought).

If the concept pays off it will be a very different style of writing for me. Most of my normal ideas are dark/modern fantasy as a general rule (none of my sci fi ideas have survived very long so far) and this is a lighter (humorous?) fantasy in a more traditional setting. Of course, even as I write this I'm thinking that maybe there's a way to change it from being too formulaic in its setting and maybe more of a dark comedy than a Pratchett-esque clone.

It will be interesting to approach it as a challenge though, not just in terms of the number of words, but writing something that isn't necessarily in the same vein as other things I've written. Its not exactly as radical a change as writing a post modernistic romance or a western but these things need to be done in little steps (and I can't see myself ever writing the first of those options.. the second, with a liberal dash of aliens, fae and/or time travel, is always a possibility).

No comments: