Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Writing of a different kind

Despite the best laid plans, the majority of my recent writing all seems to be work related. The number of process documents I've had to write or re-write recently is enough to dull the brain to mush. Unsurprisingly, having spent time recently focused on my personal writing, work related writing is a lot easier to contend with. Templated documents already have structure, whether its forms, tables or overviews, all you need to do is make the words fit in the section they need to be in and the document is done (of course then getting sign off is an entirely different matter).

It's interesting to note that the recent comic script writing I tried was fairly similar in its exectuion. A complete story broke down to a story in pages, then in panels and finally into specific speech bubbles. Everything in its place. I'm still undecided if this is too restrictive a writing style for me to be happy with, or whether the structure is a welcome relief. Whatever the answer, I'd much prefer to be writing fiction that technical process documents.

Two weeks to nanowrimo and I'm still without a comprehensive idea. I really need to come up with something this weekend, if only so I've got a week or so to work on planning it out. The alternative is writing something so loose it wil threaten to fall off the page.

No comments: