Sunday, November 11, 2007

Word count - Day 12

20,274 words down - 29,726 words to go.

40% done, almost to the magical halfway point. So far still going well. The days when word count is down a little are easily made up the next day. For the most part the writing has been on a scene by scene basis. I have an idea of where things are headed ad even a vague clue as to how they might end, but the steps along the way are mostly writing themselves.

The initial intent was a darkly satirical story in a fantasy setting. The satire is still there occasionally but it's begun to get in the way of the story. As with most writing of any real length, the story has taken on a life of its own and wants to be written a certain way. Occasionally its just a whole lot easier to let it have its way and just go along for the ride.

I'm pretty happy with my characters so far, which makes a change. Normally I'm trying to force them to change by now, but they're remaining true to what they were created as and reacting in the ways I'd expect them to.

The only minor concern I have at this point is the story won't be finished in 50K words. This isn't entirely unexpected. i was either going to be struggling to find the last 20K or its was just going to keep going. Not too sure what I'll do once I hit the 50K. I'll see how much remains to be told after that. The writing itself is still far from what I'd normally be happy with, but I'm increasingly confident there's a few sparks of quality amongst the quantity, which is the aim of the exercise.

No comments: