Thursday, November 15, 2007

Word count - Day 16

25,851 words down, 24,149 words to go

Past the magic halfway point which is certainly a notable point in this exercise. I've always thought the 20-40K mark to be the hardest to write, especially depending on how the story is flowing. I'm reasonably confident there's enough material to keep going though.

At the midway point the villains of the story have only just been introduced (well the grunt level bad guys; the bigger bad guys haven't even been mentioned yet). The first 'significant death' of the story is in progress. The evolution of the dying character has been a strange one. She was going to be a spoilt rich girl, then a potential love interest, then she became a warrior, then she became a love interest again, then she became dead. I'm hoping when I read over what I've just written her death (violent as it was) works in terms of the story and has at least a little shock value.. no one is safe.

I've also realised my Day numbering a little skewed between postings. The count for today is as of the morning of day 16, so there's an expectation that more writing will be done tonight. No major plans for the weekend socially so I'm hoping to get a couple of days ahead of schedule with the word count.

1 comment:

traveleish said...

Interesting evolution of the dying character indeed! Was she all of these things in the story, or were these things you were considering for her?