Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Down Memory Lane

In an effort to scrounge around for ideas for my next piece of writing I decided to wade through the six or seven ‘documents’ directories on my PC. Given it has been a few years since I was writing seriously, it shouldn’t have been surprising for find date stamps on files going back to 2000. Some files even had WPD extensions from Word Perfect, which hasn’t existed as an application in years. Reading through the things found there has resulted in a new practice I will be self-enforcing for all future writing projects.. make notes files.

Several files, saved with cryptic names, consist of a few pages of writing that must have had some point of destination in mind. Unfortunately I now have no idea what I was thinking when writing them. More recently, for each piece of work I am now creating a notes file to go with it. It’s a useful process which allows me to scribble-type ideas that may or may not be used, general outlines, character notes and anything else that might be relevant to the main piece of work. Hopefully this means I’ll be able to go back to any incomplete piece of work at a later date and pick up, with a relatively small amount of effort, where I left off.

In the meantime I’ve now gone from no ideas to about six. Task for the next couple of days is to shuffle those ideas about a bit and pick one (or maybe two) to start the writing process on. Weekend task will be to do a first edit run on ‘Time Traveller’s Teacher.’ I’m only a little concerned about how that will go.

No comments: