Sunday, September 2, 2007

So Close

And now for the results of this weekends writing exercise..

I think I can give myself a comfortable 0.8 out of 3 for the weekend. The short story turned into something a bit longer and at roughly 6700 words so far it has about another hour’s worth of writing to be finished. That will only be the first draft of course, it will need polishing after that then I might even let someone else read it. As far as working on ideas or notes for anything else, well, the easiest excuse is when you’re away for a sociable weekend you can’t spend all your time staring at a computer screen. I also have to give a lot of credit to anyone who tries to write with small kids racing around, or trying to wrestle you at the same time.

Despite the fact the output of the weekend was a little lower than originally planned, I’m still going to mark it up as a successful venture. What I have so far I’m fairly happen with. The original plot and characters are much the same as what I had originally intended. The structure has changed a little and I’ve tried a few things with a change of perspective as the story progresses. Hopefully it works when the piece is read as a whole.

Now for the hard bit, finishing it. Act 1 and 2 are done, the ending/epilogue is down and Act 3 is halfway there. Finishing that final act has had a few problems and the challenge is going to be not getting distracted when sitting in familiar surroundings. Computer games and regular TV (the worst of procrastinating distractions) are out until the piece is done, but hopefully that will be tonight. Happily, the title of the piece still fits, even this close to completion, though I won’t be putting that here until at least the first draft is complete.

No comments: